YAM PIE CONTEST
October 18th, 2019
Sandra K. Fite and
1. The contest is for plain yam pies only. The pie is judged
on the taste of the potato and should have little or no
spice, and no extra ingredients such as nuts, coconut,
or raisins. The pie crust should be homemade.
2. There will be two divisions of competition: Adult (19
years and older) and Youth (Age 9 thru age 18).
3. Only one pie per entrant will be accepted.
4. Pies should be brought to the Yamboree Exhibit building between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon on Friday, October 18th
5. There is not an entry fee for 2019
JUDGING AND PRIZES
1. Judging begins at 12:00 noon.
2. The pie is judged on: 1) general appearance, 2) crust
characteristics, and 3) filling characteristics.
3. The pies will be judged based on a score sheet by out-of-county
judges to select the top ten pies in each
4. The highest scoring pie in each division will be the
Grand Champion and the winners will receive a
plaque and a gift pack including at least $100. Each of
the remaining 9 finalists in each division will receive at
least $10, a blue ribbon, and a gift pack. All other
participants will receive a participation ribbon.
5. Winners will be announced at 3 p.m. in the Exhibit
Building. All participants should be present at the
adult Grand Champion winner will be photographed
presenting their pie to the Yam Queen and the youth
Grand Champion winner will be photographed
presenting their pie to the president of the Yamboree
6. All prizes and all pies should be picked up by 4:00 p.m.
If unable to pick up by 4:00 pm, arrangements can be
made with the contest staff for late pickup.
This event is sponsored by the Texas Extension Education
Association (TEEA) of Upshur County. For more
information, call the Upshur County Extension Office,