YAM PIE CONTEST
October 20, 2017
Sandra K. Fite and Joyce Raabe
1. The contest is for plain yam pies only. The pie is judged on the taste of the potato and should have little or no spice, and no extra ingredients such as nuts, coconut, or raisins. Pie crust should be homemade.
There will be two divisions of competition: Adult (19 years and older) and Youth (Age 9 thru age 18).
Only one pie per entrant will be accepted.
Pies should be brought to the Yamboree Exhibit Building between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon on Friday, October 20th.
The entry fee is $5 for adults and $2 for youth.
JUDGING AND PRIZES
1. Judging begins at 12:00 noon on Friday.
2. The pie is judged on: (1) general appearance, (2) crust characteristics, and (3) filling characteristics.
3. The pies will be judged based on a score sheet by out-of-county judges to select the top ten pies in each division.
4. The highest scoring pie in each division will be the Grand Champion and receive $45.00/ adult and $15.00/youth. Each of the 9 finalists in each division will receive $15.00/adults and $10.00/youth. All other participants will receive a participation ribbon.
5. Winners will be announced at 3 p.m. on Friday in the Exhibit Building. All participants should be present. At 3:20pm, the adult Grand Champion winner will be photographed presenting their pie to the Yamboree Queen, and the youth Grand Champion winner will be photographed presenting their pie to the president of the Yamboree Association.
6. All prizes should be picked up Friday, 4:00 p.m. Pies must be picked up by Friday, 4:00 p.m. Refrigeration is not available to ensure food safety.
This event is sponsored by the Texas Extension Education Association (TEEA) of Upshur County. For more information, call the Upshur County Extension Office, 903-843-4019.