Sponsored by: Custom Commodities
“Yam-licious” Main Course Recipe Challenge
Julie York, Chairman 903.843.4019
This is a FUN contest using “Celebrity” judges.
Wikipedia defines a “main course” as: “The main dish is usually the heaviest, heartiest, and most complex or substantive dish on a menu.”
1. The featured ingredient in the recipe must be yam.
2. Bring your favorite dish to the Exhibit Bldg. between 3:00pm – 4:00pm Thursday, October 18th for a public judging to be held at 4:30p.m. Local “celebrities” will be judging in front of the public.
3. Cost of entry is $1.00. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
4. A legible recipe must be submitted with each entry.
5. Recipe must be a main course, NOT a dessert, side dish or appetizer. Entry qualification as main course and “featuring yam” is at the judge’s discretion.
6. Entry must be made entirely by the exhibitor.
7. Exhibitor must be a resident of Upshur County, attend an Upshur County school, be a member of the Upshur 4-H or Upshur TEEA program or pay an Upshur County utility bill.
8. For food safety reasons, if a food exhibit should be served cold, it must be transported in an insulated cooler and kept at 45 degrees Fahrenheit. It must be displayed in such a way to keep cool. Exhibits to be served warm must be transported in a container keeping it at 145 degree Fahrenheit and displayed in such a way to keep it warm.
9. Exhibits will be released or discarded after judging. The public is encouraged to watch the “show.” 10. Awards will be given in each category immediately following judging:
Youth Category = Under age 18
Adult Category = 18 years of age and older
1 st Place = $15.00/$10.00
2 nd Place = $10.00/$8.00
3 rd Place = $5.00/$5.00
11. Recipes will become the property of the East Texas Yamboree Association and may become public, so “secret family recipes” should not be entered. This event is hosted by the FCH Division of the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service