2016 HOME CANNING CONTEST
Annette Johnson, Chairman #903-843-4019
(2) Jam (includes butters & marmalades)
(3) Fruit (canned & pickled)
(5) Vegetable (Pickled excluding cucumbers)
(6) Pickle (Cucumbers)
(9) BBQ Sauce
1. There will two divisions, YOUTH (ages 7 through 18) and ADULT (ages 19 and up). Awards will be given in each category in youth and adult divisions.
2. For Jarden Home Brands judging guidelines, visit
www.freshpreserving.com/community/state-fair or pick up
a printed copy at the Chamber office (106 Buffalo) or
the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension office (101 East
Cass Street) in Gilmer, 903-843-4019.
3. All entries must have been canned in 2016. Must be in standard canning jars (sizes: quarts, pints and ½ pints only), with glass in good condition. Jars must be clean and free from rust, dust, dents, or other defects. New lids, rings and jars must match. Jam and jelly products cannot be sealed using paraffin wax. Any entry not canned in standard canning jars will be disqualified. No products will be tasted.
4. Pectin, (Original, No Sugar Needed, or Liquid) may be used in Jellies and Jams.
5. If jars are labeled, labels should be small and contain only product name and date.
6. Entries will be checked in on Wed., Oct. 19th from 1-4 p.m. at the Yamboree Exhibit Building.
7. Winners will be posted by Thursday at 1:00 pm, but awards will not be presented until Friday at 1:00 pm. Best of Show pictures will be taken on Friday, October 21st at 3:00 pm.
8. All entries will be on display in the Exhibit building through Saturday, Oct. 22nd. They should be picked up between 2:00-3:30 pm. Entries not picked up will be taken to the Extension office and discarded after 14 days.