2018 HOME CANNING CONTEST
Annette Johnson, Chairman 903.843.4019
Sponsored by: East Texas Title Company of Upshur County
(2) Jam (includes Butters & Marmalades)
(3) Fruit (canned & pickled)
(5) Vegetable (Pickled excluding cucumbers)
(6) Pickle (Cucumbers)
(9) BBQ Sauce
1. There will two divisions, YOUTH (ages 5 through 7) and ADULT (ages 18 and up). Awards will be given in each.
2. *NEW: Entry Fees are Adult $2 Youth $1 *NEW: Awards include 1st place = $10, 2nd place = $8 and 3rd place = $5 (Youth and Adults)
3. For reference information, refer to the Ball Blue Book® or the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning book. a copy at the Chamber office (106 Buffalo).
4. Entries will be checked in on Wed., Oct. 17 th from 1-4 p.m. at the Yamboree Exhibit Building.
5. All entries must be prepared within one year from last judging date. Must be in standard canning jars (sizes: quarts, pints and ½ pints only), with clear glass in good condition. Jars must be clean and free from rust, dust, dents, or other defects, like bubbles. Jar and lid must match. Jam and jelly products cannot be sealed using paraffin wax. Produce should be free from blemishes, disease and spoilage. Liquid should be clear. Any entry not canned in standard canning jars will be disqualified. Ball® and Kerr® products are recommended for competition. No products will be tasted.
6. *NEW: Jars must be labeled with product name, date of prep, processing methods and processing time. Ball® Pectin (Original, No Sugar Needed, or Liquid) must be used in Jellies and Jams.
7. *NEW: Winners will be posted and awards will be available Thursday at Noon. Best of Show pictures will be taken on Friday, October 19th at 3:00pm.
8. *NEW: All Entries should be picked up between 5:00- 6:00 pm, or Monday morning between 10am-noon. Entries not picked up will be taken to the Extension office and discarded on Monday. This event is hosted by the Texas Extension Education Association and sponsored in part by Newell Brands, Inc.