Chairmen: Jeff Dodd – 903.790.3159
2019 QUEEN’S PARADE RULES
1. Horses will not be allowed in the parade.
2. No motorcycles or off- road vehicles. (4-wheelers, dirt bikes, etc.)
3. All Antique/Classic cars are judged and entries from the car show will be selected for participation in the parade.
4. Commercial floats are encouraged to enter. An award will be presented; however, no cash prize will be awarded.
5. Entries will not be accepted after September 26th.
6. All marching bands will sound off in front of the Gilmer National Bank on Titus, the official starting point of the parade.
7. A limited number of vehicles per school in the Queen’s parade.
8. *No traffic will be allowed on Titus Street from 8 a.m. Saturday until the conclusion of the Queen’s Parade.
9. *Entries may not throw or pass out candy or any other type of item.
10. Parade chairman has the final decision on any entry.
11. Entries must not delay the parade and must cooperate in maintaining a smooth flow of parade traffic.
12. All entries must follow complete parade route. Disbanded groups will not be allowed to walk back through the parade.
13. All entries must travel in a straight line with no variations or weaving.
14. *NO MUSIC FROM RADIOS OR CD’S FROM CARS.
15. Groups under age 5 are not allowed to walk the parade route.
16. Cheerleaders and Dance groups are allowed to ride in vehicles but are encouraged to walk the parade route doing cheers as they go. Each group will be allowed to stop and perform a 2-minute routine in front of the bandstand; anything longer interrupts the flow of the parade and causes gaps and congestive. Please DO NOT STOP in front of your school’s concession booth to perform as this will again cause flow, gaps, and congestion problems. Dancing suggestively (twerking) and other moves that do not fit with our family entertainment style parade will result in your group’s removal from the parade immediately. Please follow these rules and we will have a wonderful parade that flows and does not have delays.
17. Parade route begins on Titus St. and is led by the police. All entries must follow the police through the entire parade route. The parade route will be as follows: left on Jefferson St., right on Simpson St., right on Hwy. 154 and right on Trinity St. All entries will continue on until Trinity St. ends at Walnut St. and go left on Walnut then go an additional 50 ft. to Railroad St. Take a right on Railroad St. which leads back to the float barn area.
18. Floats to be judged must be on the Gilmer National Bank parking lot by 8 a.m., with everyone on the floats by 9 a.m. All other entries must be in place by 10 a.m. All award winners need to provide two people to carry the award banner during the parade. At 10:30, at least ONE representative from each float entry must be at the North entrance of GNB for Award Announcement. Representative will then go immediately to pick up banner on West side of bank at Titus St. (Banner Barn Building)
19. BUSES ONLY ON WALKER ST. All cars bringing people for floats will be directed to parking lot. Entrance to the lot is Redbud and Lawrence at the railroad track.
20. Bands that wish to perform must do so in front of the bandstand, only. Keep performance under 4 minutes, which allows everyone their time, and avoids unnecessary delay.
QUEEN’S PARADE AWARDS
Class I Floats (Civic Clubs/Organizations)
1st prize $1,000
2nd prize – $700
3rd prize – $500
Honorable mention awards
Class II Commercial Floats
Queen’s Court Award
Yamboree Board of Director’s Award
President’s Award winner will be awarded a trophy with the name engraved to be displayed at their place of
business for one year.
Commercial winners will be awarded plaques.
Floats will be scored on a points system:
Narrative: 1 (poor) 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (best)
The Portrayal of Float Theme: 2 (Poor) 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 (excellent)
Creativity: 3 (poor) 6 9 12 13 15 18 20 23 25 (excellent)
Costume Representation: 1 (poor) 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 (excellent) – (Lady in Waiting or Duchess excluded)
Workmanship: 3 (Poor) 6 9 12 13 15 18 20 23 25 (excellent)
Special Effects (movement, wheels.smoke, running water, etc.): 1 (poor) 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 (excellent)
** Narrative will be scored as step 1 of judging. The score will be used as a tie breaker.